Ash Wednesday is February 26, which marks the beginning of the Christian season of Lent. Lent is a 40-day period of reflection that guides people of Christian faith to the “Triduum” that begins on the evening of Maundy Thursday and closes on Easter Sunday.
Ashes will be distributed at the times listed below at both Hendricks Chapel and at the SU Catholic Center, 110 Walnut Place.
The Noon ecumenical service at Hendricks Chapel will include clergy from a diversity of Christian traditions. The service will be held from 12-12:30 p.m. in the Main Chapel.
The Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, including Bishop DeDe Duncan-Probe, will offer “Ashes to Go” from 3-4 p.m. for students, faculty and staff.
The complete schedule includes:
- 8 a.m., Catholic worship service and distribution of ashes, SU Catholic Center, 110 Walnut Place;
- Noon, 30-minute ecumenical worship service with the distribution of ashes, Hendricks Chapel, Main Chapel;
- 3-4 p.m., “Ashes To Go”, front steps of Hendricks Chapel. If inclement weather, location moved to the Chapel front hall (inside main doors);
- 4 p.m., Catholic worship service with the distribution of ashes, Hendricks Chapel, Main Chapel;
- 5:30 p.m., Catholic worship service with the distribution of ashes, Hendricks Chapel, Main Chapel;
- 7 p.m., Catholic worship service with the distribution of ashes, the SU Catholic Center, 110 Walnut Place.
For more information, contact Hendricks Chapel at 315.443.2901 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the SU Catholic Center at 315.443.2600.
This event was first published on February 19, 2020 and last updated on February 20, 2020.
- Religion and Spirituality
- Main Campus
- Open to
- Hendricks Chapel
- SU Catholic Center
- Hendricks Chapel
- Contact Hendricks Chapel to request accommodations
- Parking is limited around Hendricks Chapel and the Alibrandi Catholic Center during the work day. Visit parking.syr.edu for additional parking options on campus.